Friday, April 12, 2013

wisdom in unexpected places

"We should consider it a privilege to serve living beings." -Geshe Kelsang Gyatso

The other day I locked my keys in my car and I did not realize it until it was time to pick up my son from school. The worse part was that my husband was away and no one else has keys to either my car or our house (the keys to which I had locked in the car as well). My husband's  grandmother had just passed away that very morning and I was so distracted after hearing the sad news that I locked my self out. When I realized I could not get in the car, I frantically walked to my son's pre-school (about a mile and a half away), from which we then grabbed a taxi back to my office. The entire time my son was excited about this after school adventure and specially about sitting in a taxi cab like a grown-up without a car seat. We went back to my office and called AAA to come unlock my car. When the AAA man arrived he greeted me in a thick Rhode Island accent: "how are you doing?," to which I quickly replied, "I've had better days!" He looked at me then at my beautiful son as we stood next to the car holding hands. He smiled at us and said, "but it could be a worse day, right?..." He opened my car in less than a minute! I thanked him profoundly not only for opening my car but also for reminding me that locking my keys inside my car was not the worse thing that could happen. I said to him "Thank you for the reminder, you are right, this day is not so bad." He smiled at me stepped into his AAA-truck and sped away. My son asked me, "Mommy can we do this every night?"

No comments:

Post a Comment