Friday, March 8, 2013

Rosa's Pudin de Calabaza

                                                                 (photo http://www.worldcrops.org/crops/Calabaza.cfm)

There are many talented cooks in my family. On the one hand, I suppose that this is  culturally derived because as a group we take great pride in cooking and sharing food with our loved ones. On the other, our parents were both cooks: our mother is a master cook of traditional Puerto Rican foods and our father was, for a time, a cook for the merchant marine. Then later in life he opened and ran a small general store with my mom. As a child, when I spent time with our dad he would make me doughnuts and malta-shakes "to fatten me up." Then we would go into his lavish garden and he would show me his peanut plant, his guava, mango or papaya tree. He also planted exotic fruits and plants from seeds he gathered during his travels or that he traded by mail with others. Our grandparents on all sides cultivated their own food gardens, and on my mother's side they also worked the cane. Today my uncle cultivates several gardens simultaneously, and both my sister and I each cultivate our own ornamental and food garden. My mother likes to garden at my brother’s house, where in the summer he readies a small plot for her in his yard—she likes to plant potatoes, tomatoes, and gandules too. It is safe to say that cooking and gardening runs in "our blood.”

Here my sister shares an awesome calabaza recipe of her own confection:

What you need?
1Lb  calabaza
1 teaspoon of cinnamon*
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract*
4 eggs
1 cup of biscuit mix (or similar)
¼ to ½ cup of demerara (turbinado) sugar*
(*adjust to taste)

What to do? 
Remove skin and seeds and cook (just like you would with potatoes)
Then drain and let cool.
In food processor and after cooling the calabaza, mix all the ingredients to a smooth texture.
Pour into a greased baking dish (a meatloaf pan is perfect) and bake at 350° for 1 hour. Enjoy warm or cold.

My sister, Rosa (the creator of this recipe) says she has been eating this lovely dish for breakfast lately! And I say, yummy!  

Thanks sis for sharing it with us!

No comments:

Post a Comment