Saturday, December 29, 2012

Baked 3 cheese polenta

This is a version of my friend Concha's amazing polenta dish. Long ago, when we were neighbors, she would make polenta during the holidays and on special occasions (she always made enough to last for lunch the next day, when it tasted even better!). I made this wonderfully filling baked polenta to bid goodbye to 2012 and as a prelude to the New Year! For a basic polenta recipe, I followed Alton Brown's savory polenta and it was easy and as promised, savory.

I used stone-ground whole grain cornmeal and baked it at 350 degrees for 40 minutes, taking it out of the oven every 10 minutes to stir it (thus eliminating any lumps). Once cooked, I added on top of the polenta (as if it were a lasagna) three fresh tomatoes (sliced thinly), 1 cup fresh basil, 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar (on top of the basil), as well as 1/2 cup fontina, 1/2 cup gorgonzola, and 1/2 cup fresh parmesan cheese and baked it for an additional 15 minutes. 
I was pleased with the results! And we ate the remaining polenta for lunch today when it tasted even better than it did last night. I think I will be making this quite often!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment