Sunday, November 18, 2012

OMG lemoney pancakes!

I am not kidding when I say these pancakes are among the top five most flavorful foods I have eaten this year! Just fantastic! And they are simple, but the flavor combination is really great. The original recipe idea came from here, but I tweaked it in several ways mostly because I wanted to to use the ingredients I had on hand here at home. 

What you need?
1 egg
1/2 cup-greek lemon yogurt (such as Liberté, but any other brand will do)
2 tblspn almond milk (1 more tblspn if batter looks too thick still)
2 tblspn unsalted butter (more for buttering pan)
1/4 tspn lemon zest
1/4 tspn vanilla extract
1/4 tspn cinnamon
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup oat bran flour or wheat germ (whichever you have at hand)
1/2 tspn baking powder
1/4 tspn salt
1 tblspn sugar
1/2 cup blueberries 
*this makes about 5 small pancakes, double the recipe by increasing the quantity of ingredients

What to do?
Whisk egg and yogurt together, then add melted butter, lemon zest and vanilla - whisk together. 
 In a separate bowl, combine the flours, salt, sugar, baking powder, and cinnamon -- add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and then add the milk to moisten the batter. A cast-iron skillet is the best place to cook these tasty pancakes -- melt some butter in your skillet and when the butter starts bubbling drop a spoonful of batter. The batter will be thick and that's how you want it, press several blueberries onto your cake. Cook over low-medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes on each side. 
I topped this off with Vermont maple syrup, I usually buy a gallon during my yearly trip there. (and this gallon is almost gone, so I better get up there soon for next year's supply!) I use maple syrup in everything--from soups to salad dressing to cakes--it truly adds an amazingly subtle flavor to food that is difficult to compare. I adore maple syrup! (I read this story in August and appreciated the love for maple the author shares, but was also saddened to know that like so many other precious resources hanging on the balance, sugaring for maple sap is yet another food source and tradition hard hit by climate change). 
 Here is Khalil enjoying his pancake!


2 comments: