Sunday, September 2, 2012

Vegetable Fried Rice

 
The other day when I opened our fridge to survey its contents in order to figure out what to make for dinner, I noticed that we had a 2-day old pot of white rice
and a bunch of veggies. I closed the fridge a little lost about what to make with such limited resources. Then a thought flashed across my brain: "I bet I can make delicious fried rice!" (Luckily, my husband eats everything I make--both when my food turns out great and when my culinary experiments turn out just plain bad...LOL). 

Luckily, this fried rice turned out on the right side of awesome! Try it, I bet you will love it too (and it is super easy)! It helps if you own a wok - I own a nice, but inexpensive wok from Ikea that works just fine for my needs.

Ingredients (adjust according to your needs)
Cooked rice (white or brown) (2 cups)
Broccoli (1 cup)
Green Peas (1/3 cup)
Chives (1/3 cup)
Mushrooms (1/3 cup)
Olive Oil (1/4 cup)
Soy Sauce (1/2 cup)
2 eggs

What to do? 
Heat the olive oil in the wok and add your veggies. Let veggies cook for about 2 minutes, gently move them around then add the rice combining gently all together (let all cook for 3-4 minutes on high-medium heat). Then add the soy sauce combine all ingredients together (cook for about 2 more minutes), finally pour the eggs evenly over rice (they should be beaten) and gently combine all ingredients together. The trick here is to use medium to high heat, letting the rice become "fried" or slightly browned (without burning it).  Add soy as needed to achieve the flavor you like. I find that adding a generous amount of chives really kicks up the flavor. Do not remove from heat until egg is cooked.
This meal will surely become a regular at our dinner table!




No comments:

Post a Comment