Sunday, August 12, 2012

Canelones Criollos Vegetarianos

Growing up I remember eating delicious canelones at home and at my relatives house. The canelones were usually laced in marinara sauce with chicken or pieces of chuletas (pork chops). This was a one pot, one dish meal that satisfied everyone! I have now been a vegetarian for several years, and while I do NOT miss meat at all, I sometimes miss the flavor of my family's criollo food. The recipe I am sharing here, is a version of those delicious canelones from my childhood. This comfort food recipe was healthful, satisfying and delicious too!

Ingredients
-5 (fresh, whole) tomatoes
-1 cup of fresh spinach
-1 lb. spinach rigatoni (or pasta of your choice)
-1/2 cup olive oil + more as needed 
-1 clove crushed garlic
-1/2 cup soy chorizo 
-1 chopped veggie sausage
-1/4 crushed oregano
-salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste

 What to do?
Cook the pasta and set aside. In the same pot, add olive oil, tomatoes, chorizo, veggie sausage and cook together until tomatoes break and sausage is golden brown. Add garlic, spinach, oregano, salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste. Let sauce come together a few more minutes, then add the pasta and gently combine. Add olive oil as needed to moisten the mixture. Cover and cook on low for a few minutes before serving. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment