Sunday, July 8, 2012

Tomato Soup & Grilled Cheese

Remember that precocious and productive tomato plant from my previous post? Well, I am excited to report that it has continued to flourish. And I decided to make a simple and delicious tomato soup with the first tomatoes of the season. I garnished the soup with fresh parsley from the garden as well. I am really enjoying harvesting fresh produce!

Ingredients
10 (small-med) tomatoes or 1 large can of plum tomatoes
1 small red onion
2 garlic cloves
1 apple
2 veggie cubes  (or 1 can veggie broth)
1/2 tspn oregano
1/2 tspn red pepper flakes
2 1/2 tblsp olive oil
1 large piece of hearty bakery bread 
5 cups water

What to do? 
First, blanch the tomatoes in boiling water for about 1 minute then remove their skin. Set them aside. Chop the onion and apple, and press the garlic. In large pot, add and heat olive oil, sauté the onion, apple, garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes for about 4 minutes on medium heat. Add veggie cubes or veggie broth let it boil. Add tomatoes and the hearty bread. Let it come together for 5 minutes. Turn off and blend it in food processor or blender. Then return to the pot. Add salt to taste.
I made grilled cheese as a side dish. I know this is a classic combo! Hardly original, but the classics are so for a reason: you can't go wrong! I made the grilled cheese on hearty bakery bread and 2-year aged cheddar from Shelburne Farms, which I got during our recent visit to Vermont. Needless to say, this was a wonderfully fresh and delectable meal with which to end a lazy summer day!










 

No comments:

Post a Comment