Friday, June 8, 2012

Veggie Skewers



Grilled food tastes GREAT! It is as simple as that. We like to grill using lump charcoal (it has no additives of any kind), and we use a chimney to light up the charcoal (NO lighter fluid either, which is ozone depleting!). I was once poisoned with vegetables that were made on a grill in which lighter fluid was used, and so naturally I am completely opposed to adding anything that is both bad for my health and for the environment. The chimney works amazingly: it is quick and clean. Carlos, the grill master in our house, absolutely loves using it.


In any case, these veggie skewers are simple and delicious. All you need are skewers sticks, and your favorite veggies. I used grape tomatoes, mushrooms, baby red potatoes, red and green zucchini, yellow peppers, and eggplant. I soaked the wood skewers in water for a half hour so that they don't burn on the grill. I cut the potatoes in half and boiled them for about 10 minutes before placing them on the skewers. I cut the veggies into squares and began assembling the skewers. After they were assembled, I brushed them with olive oil and added salt. I grilled them for about 10 minutes, turning them after 5 minutes so as to cook them on all sides.


We also decided to grill a few pieces of watermelon. The heat brings out their sweetness making them a perfect desert!

No comments:

Post a Comment