Monday, June 4, 2012

Falafels !

Falafels are one of my favorites foods, and specially when nestled nicely between warm pita bread, tahini sauce, lettuce and tomatoes. But you do not have to be a vegetarian to like falafels. They are good no matter what kind of food you prefer! And right now, I am having Egypt-envy, because I read somewhere that McDonalds' in Egypt serves a sandwich they call the "McFalafel." I am not a fan of the McD's, but if they had it on the menu here in the US, I would probably stop in at least once in a while. 

Falafels are super easy to make actually. So most likely I would continue making them at home and boycotting McD's as I have always done (yes! down with "cardboard, bad-for- you, toxic chain food" there I said it!). And here is the recipe for quick, delicious, homemade falafel patties:

Ingredients
1 cup Garbanzo Bean flour
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp parsley flakes
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp garlic granules
1/4 tsp onion powder
2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 cup hot water
2 tbsp olive oil (for frying)

What to do?
Combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl and blend all together. Add the lemon juice and hot water and combine. Let the mixture rest for 10 minutes before forming the patties.
 Heat oil in frying pan, and add the patties fry on both sides until it is golden brown. If you make small patties this recipe will yield about 12, if you make medium-sized patties you will get about 6. 

These are super enjoyable and filling too! 




No comments:

Post a Comment