Wednesday, June 6, 2012

EastWillyB on Gentrification

 
This past weekend I went to Philly to visit a friend. The photo here is from a garden in her mostly Puerto Rican neighborhood. We don't know who the "brain" and steward of this garden is, but aside from having a variety of plants and vegetables, this person makes awesome use of discarded children's toys (but mostly horses). Just as my friend was giving me a tour of the gardens in her "inner-city, low-income" neighborhood in Philly, my camera ran out of battery (boo hoo hoo). But what I can tell you is that no matter how "poor" a neighborhood is, a garden (and in this neighborhood there are several), and a mural will give the community a sense of pride! My friend also gave me a  tour through some of Philly's gentrifying neighborhoods and all I want to say is that I hope the low-income, inner city residents are still able to afford to live in the city. For what is a city without diversity?? 

And on the topic of gentrification, please take a look at this AWESOME web series about that very topic in Brooklyn, NY: http://www.eastwillyb.com/  
They were able to produce 6 episodes (which were GREAT!) and are trying to produce an entire season!! I hope they can pull it off, as I am ready to enjoy much more of this show!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment