Monday, June 11, 2012

Corn Cakes

It all started with a couple of leftover grilled ears of corn. Then I had the grand idea of making corn fritters. I've seen different recipes floating around. I saw an intriguing one in a wonderful vegetarian book I borrowed from the library titled One World Vegetarian Cookbook. There are many recipes for corn fritters, but I finally settled for one that made what looked and tasted like corn cakes, rather than fritters. Next time, I will try the bacalaito recipe but will substitute the cod fish for corn. 

Ingredients 
3/4 c. all-purpose flour
1/4 c. fresh chives
1 tspn salt
1 tblspn sugar
1 tspn cayenne pepper
1 egg
1 tspn baking soda
1/2 c. milk, soy milk, coconut milk (your option)
2-4 c. fresh corn, canned corn, or frozen corn (your option)

What to do?
Mix dry ingredients, then add egg, milk, corn and combine. Using a rounded spoon drop in hot oil (I used olive oil), and fry until golden brown on all sides. Remove from oil and place on paper towel to remove excess oil. Put on a plate and drizzle with maple syrup or powdered sugar (whichever you prefer).

These are tasty as appetizers or as a side dish! They are super filling and just the right amount of sweet. You can also try them with a spicy green salsa or sour cream.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment