Friday, May 4, 2012

Kale slaw

I love, love, love greens (kale, collards, swiss chard)! And my vegetables beds are fully stocked with these, so you will be seeing lots of "green leafs" related postings in the near future. This is a good thing actually since we should eat dark, leafy greens often (at least 3 times per week), as these are nutritional powerhouses (with an incredible concentration of nutrients in every bite)! 

The other day I stopped in at the Whole Foods salad bar to grab some lunch (I was rushing from one work site to another), and I tried their kale slaw. It was delicious! And I was determined to try a kale slaw recipe of my own at home. For one thing, making a large batch of kale will last several days for a fraction of the salad bar cost and I was sure I could improve an already delicious recipe. I went to work on it and here is what I came up with and honestly, it is one of the best salads I have ever eaten (my husband said the same!). I came up with my own recipe based on this one and this other.

Ingredients
-a bunch of kale
-2 carrots
-1 orange
-1 lime
-1 small red onion
-cider vinegar
-sesame oil
-brown sugar
-eggless vegan mayo
-crushed peanuts
-salt (to taste)

What to do?
Cut the kale into small pieces, wash, dry and place in a bowl. Slice carrots with potato peeler. Mix kale and carrots together. Squeeze half the orange juice onto the greens, then half the lime juice--combine gently, but thoroughly. Put it aside.




Cut the red onion into small pieces. Shock the onion by boiling water: first, add the onion to the boiling water for about 30 seconds, then to cold water for about 1 minute. Dry onions and add to salad. Combine 1 teaspoon cider vinegar with 1 teaspoon brown sugar, and 1 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil, mix and add to salad. Add 2 tablespoons mayo. Combine salad together, gently but thoroughly. Finally, add 2-3 tablespoons crushed peanuts. Refrigerate for at least an hour and serve. 

 This slaw is truly amazing! Even if you think you don't like kale, try it, I think it will change your mind (and taste buds)!














-

No comments:

Post a Comment