Wednesday, May 30, 2012

In Memory of Marlene Berg

Marlene Berg & Khalil, at his 3rd birthday December 2011

My good friend Marlene has now moved into the spirit realm. I know she did so peacefully. During her lifetime, Marlene made an indelible mark on many, many people, including my son, my husband, and me! I've known Marlene for over 15 years and during that time we shared many happy moments and some difficult ones too. She was overjoyed at the birth of each of her grand children, she went to my dissertation defense, and celebrated  with me afterward, she was ecstatic when her son completed his Ph.D. too  She placed a high value on excellence and was a tireless advocate of social justice, spoke passionately against racism, worked to ameliorate poverty, gave youth (of color) an opportunity to learn they too are valuable, talented, amazing and courageous! I will miss Marlene so dearly! I cannot count the ways in which Marlene changed my life forever. Thank you Marlene! Thank you my friend! Your lessons I will carry forever. And your example I will work very hard to carry on. I will pay it forward. That I promise. 


Oh heart, if one should say to you that the soul perishes like the body, answer that the flower withers, but the seed remains.  ~Kahlil Gibran

No comments:

Post a Comment