Monday, January 30, 2012

Sautéed veggie scramble

One of my nutritional aims is to eat a variety of veggies on a daily basis. And since I am vegetarian, this goal is quite important (otherwise, as beginning vegetarians often do, you would end up eating carbs and more carbs). Here are two variations of a breakfast/brunch/lunch favorite: The sautéed veggie scramble. I usually incorporate whichever veggie I have in the fridge (or freezer). Here, I show one of my favorite variations, the crispy okra and egg scramble. I fry the okra in about a teaspoon of olive oil until it is brown and crispy on all sides, then I add 1 egg (because what I want to eat is the okra, not so much the egg). I add salt, garlic powder, and red pepper flakes.

Another great combination, is fresh spinach and sun dried tomato. Again, I sauté the veggies in a about 1 teaspoon olive oil, and then add one egg. 
There are many variations of this one egg scramble, like the fresh spinach, mushroom and fresh, crushed garlic. Or fresh tomatoes and sweet peas. Or fresh, green and red peppers, with (cooked and cubed) potatoes. One of the key things about this dish is that the sautéed veggies are the heart of the dish (and thus should be more abundant that the eggs). Sometimes, I eat the veggie scramble wrapped in a whole-grain flour tortilla, to which I add salsa, hot sauce, and avocado slices.

No comments:

Post a Comment