Wednesday, December 14, 2011

My mother's harina de maíz

My mother has made farina, cornmeal (harina de maíz), cornstarch (maicena), or oatmeal (avena) at least three mornings each week for as long as I can remember. Her "harinas" (literally translated as 'flour'), taste like an early morning dessert. She adds lots of sugar, cinnamon powder, and vanilla extract into the boiling milk, then she slowly stirs in the 'harina' until it becomes thick, soft, mushy. My mother's 'harinas' taste awesome! 


In the spirit of healthful eating when I make 'harinas' I substitute the cow's milk for (vanilla) almond milk, I add two teaspoons of brown sugar, half teaspoon vanilla and half a teaspoon of cinnamon, when this boils I slowly stir in the 'harina' of choice (about 1 to 3 teaspoons depending on the desired consistency).  









Adding a dollop of unsalted butter makes it taste like my childhood every time!

I especially enjoy eating 'harinas' on chilly winter mornings -- they are both warming and sustaining. I like to eat my 'harinas' with a freshly pressed cup of apple or orange juice to add some nutritional balance to my breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment