Thursday, December 29, 2011

Bread & Soup


Just in time for the new year. A restoring, warming soup (it is 32 degrees today here in Providence, brrrrr). This soup has the usual suspects: tofu, cubed and deep fried in sesame oil, crushed garlic, sweet potatoes, carrots, butternut squash, baby bella mushrooms, fresh spinach, soy sauce, and red pepper flakes. I first make a veggie broth (I use veggie bouillon cubes)--then I add all the "hard" vegetables (carrots and sweet potatoes), I let it boil for about 3 minutes, then turn it down to a simmer--I then add the garlic and soy sauce let that simmer together for about 5 minutes, then I add the butternut squash, the mushrooms, red pepper flakes and spinach.  I let the soup simmer over low heat for about 20 minutes and let stand for another 10 before I serve it. 

I like to serve this soup with this "Easy Little Bread" -- this bread is actually simple to make and very, very delicious. 


I drizzle honey on it while it is still warm. This bread also makes a great breakfast snack (here, I ate it slathered with apple-honey butter).

  

This bread and soup are perfect food as we gear up to celebrate the New Year! 

No comments:

Post a Comment